Add to Favorites|Student login|Alumni




Q1. If I'm a Chinese citizen with permanent residence of a foreign country, am I eligible to apply?

A: Sorry, you are not eligible. Only non-Chinese citizens with a valid passport is eligible.

Q2. If I have given up my original Chinese citizenship and become a foreign citizen, may I apply for the undergraduate programs?

A: For those who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens, the conditions set by the Document No. 12 (2020) of Ministry of Education of the PRC should be met.

Q3. Is there any age requirement?

A: There is no age limit but for those who are under 18 (by September 1, 2024), they must provide a certificate identifying a legal guardian in China. The guardian of the applicant has to stay in Hefei during the period of applicant's studying at USTC. Whatever the guardian's nationality is, he or she must have a stable source of living.

Q4. Is there any requirement for the average scores of applicants in high school?

A: There is no requirement for the average scores of applicants in high school but all applicants need to submit high school/university (if applicable) transcripts (in Chinese or English) and their scores in high school will be considered while USTC evaluate each applicant.

Q5. Is there any requirement for Chinese language proficiency?

A: Chinese language proficiency of HSK Level 5 or above, with each subject scored over 60 points. Applicants whose native language is Chinese, or can provide proof of studying at a high school where the teaching language is Chinese, can apply for HSK test exemption.

Q6. Where can I check the HSK Test Centers?

A: HSK Test is held by Center for Language Education and Cooperation (CLEC). The test centers are all over the world. Test takers can check the nearest test center at

Q7. Is there any requirement for English language proficiency? 

A: There is no requirement for English language proficiency. But for those whose mother tongue is not English, they are supposed to provide some supporting documents of their English language proficiency, such as TOEFL/IELTS scores, or proof of studying at a high school where the teaching language is English.

Q8. What subjects are contained in the entrance examination?

A: The entrance examination covers the subjects of Chinese, Mathematics, and Science (comprehensive test of Physics, Chemistry and Biology). The test is all in Chinese.

Q9. How can I take the entrance examination? Will there be online test?

The entrance exanimation will be held online or offline and the detail information will be sent to applicants who pass the application review later via email.

Q10. When will the entrance examination be held? 

A: The time for entrance examination will be notified later (usually held in April or May).

Q11. When will the interview be held? Is it online or in site?

A: The time and arrangement for interview will be notified later (usually held in April or May). The interview will be held online or in site.

Q12. Is there any application fee?

A: No, there is no application fee.

Q13. How much is the tuition fee and other cost?

A: Tuition fee: 26,000 RMB per academic year, Insurance fee: 800 RMB per academic year, Accommodation fee for on-campus dormitories varying from 500--1,000 RMB per month depending on room type and size.

Q14. How will the admission decision be made? 

A: The admission decision is based on a comprehensive evaluation of applicants' academic performance (entrance examination or SAT/IB/GCE A-Level/ACT results), interview performance, qualifications, certificates and other related materials.

Q15. Is it necessary to have graduation certificate of high school when I apply?

A: Applicants who will be graduating from high school before July 2024 should provide Pre-graduation Certificate (the expected graduation time should be indicated) issued by the high school. Original graduation certificate is required upon registration if get admitted.

Q16. Do applicants need to provide the original documents? When to provide them?

A: Yes, all the original copies of the documents provided in the Online Application System should be presented at the time of entrance examination and registration. USTC will check all the documents. If any certificate provided proves to be fake, the qualification for entrance examination and admission will be terminated.

Q17. What is the study mode for international undergraduate students?

A: International undergraduate students take the classes together with Chinese students.

Q18. Are there any kind of entrance tutorial class in USTC?

A: No, USTC doesn't hold any kind of entrance tutorial class in any form. USTC never holds or cooperates with any individual, company or institution to organize any form of profitable training activities related to application issues.

Q19. How to apply for visa and dormitory?

A: The formal Admission Notice and the entrance guidance documents (including the information about visa and dormitory) will be sent to the admitted applicants via email.

Q20. Is there any scholarship for undergraduate programs?

A: Undergraduate applicants can apply for Chinese Government Scholarship or USTC Fellowship. USTC Fellowship Level A covers tuition fee, insurance fee, monthly stipend of 2,500 RMB and accommodation subsidy. USTC Fellowship Level B covers tuition fee. For further details, please refer to the website: USTC Fellowship Program in USTC 2024:

Q21. How to apply for scholarships?

A: Applicants can apply for Chinese Government Scholarship or USTC Fellowship. 

For Chinese Government Scholarship, please refer to the official website of China Scholarship Council (Study in China:; 

For USTC Fellowship, it can be applied via the International Student (Undergraduate) Application system of USTC. There is no need to create new account for applying USTC fellowship if applicants have finished their online application. Applicants just need to choose the type of programs (self-financed or scholarship program) while applying in the application system.